Ecolab services, including (without limitation) our website and other interactive properties through which the services are delivered (collectively, the “Service”) are owned, operated, and distributed by Ecolab (referred to in this Privacy Notice as “Ecolab” or “we” and through similar words such as “us,” “our,” etc.). This Privacy Notice (or “Notice”) outlines the personal information that Ecolab may collect, how Ecolab uses and safeguards that information, and with whom we may share it.
Ecolab encourages our customers, vendors, employees, independent contractors, visitors, business associates, investors, and other interested parties to read this Privacy Notice, which applies to all users interacting with any portion of the Service. If you are a job applicant, employee, independent contractor, or are otherwise engaged with Ecolab on an employment, contractual, or professional basis please refer to the Global Employee and Applicant Privacy Notice that describes how Ecolab collects and uses your information during course of that relationship.
What Personal Information Do We Collect About You?
Personal information (also commonly known as personally identifiable information (PII) or personal data) is information that can be used to identify you, or any other individual to whom the information may relate. Certain information that we collect from you may be considered “sensitive” depending on your jurisdiction, warranting further data subject rights or privacy protections.
The personal information that we collect directly from those accessing the Service includes the following categories:
- Name and contact information (e.g. address; phone number; email, fax);
- Account information (e.g. login credentials, date of birth)
- Billing Information (e.g. credit card, bank account, billing contact information);
- Order Information (e.g. current order/purchase information, purchase history, shipping details);
- Professional Information (e.g. company/employer information, job title, professional affiliations)
- Geographic or location information;
- Information contained in posts you may on the public forums and interactive features of the Service;
- Information in Ecolab's cookie notice (the "Cookie Notice”), the degree to which such information is defined as personal information under the laws of a particular jurisdiction (please note that, while this Privacy Notice applies across all websites, the applicability of cookies and the affiliated cookie notice may vary if you are on certain websites outside of www.ecolab.com);
- Other information that may be exchanged in the course of engaging with the Service.You will be aware of any subsequently collected information because it will come directly from you.
Collection of User-Generated Content
We may invite you to post content on the Service, including your comments and any other information that you would like to be available on the Service, which may become public (“User Generated Content”). If you post User Generated Content, all of the information that you post will be available to authorized personnel of Ecolab and may be made available to the public at our discretion. You expressly acknowledge and agree that we may access in real-time, record, and store archives of any User Generated Content on our servers to make use of them in connection with the Service. If you submit a review, recommendation, endorsement, or other User Generated Content through the Service, or through other websites including Facebook, Instagram, Google, Yelp, and other similar channels, we may share that review, recommendation, endorsement, or content publicly on the Service.
What Are the Sources of Personal Information Collected by Ecolab?
When providing personal information to Ecolab as described in this Privacy Notice, that personal information is collected directly from you, and you will know the precise personal information being collected by us. Ecolab does not collect personal information from any other sources, except where it may automatically be collected as described in the Cookie Notice. Please note that, while this Privacy Notice applies across all websites, the applicability of cookies and the affiliated cookie notice may vary if you are on certain websites outside of www.ecolab.com.
In certain limited circumstances, third-party service providers may collect information on behalf of Ecolab, though such collection will always be within the context of the Service. As described in the Cookie Notice, Ecolab may also automatically collect certain information that is considered personal information. In particular, we may collect personal and non-personal information through the following additional channels:
- Our own cookies on our website;
- 3rd party cookies on our website;
- Social media networks;
- 3rd party software applications.
How Does Ecolab Use Personal Information
Subject to the terms of this Privacy Notice, Ecolab uses the above-described categories of personal information in several ways. Unless otherwise stated specifically, the above information may be used for any of the following purposes:
- to administer the Service to you;
- to process transactions with customers or vendors;
- to respond to your requests or inquiries;
- to distribute communications relevant to your use of the Service, such as system updates or information about your use of the Service;
- as may be necessary to support the operation of the Service, such as for billing, account maintenance, and record-keeping purposes;
- to send to you Ecolab solicitations, product announcements, and the like that we feel may be of interest to you (you may “opt out” of receiving these marketing materials);
- to notify you about changes to this Privacy Notice;
- to allow you to participate in surveys or provide testimonials;
- to carry out Ecolab’s obligations and enforce rights arising from any contracts between you and Ecolab or arising from applicable laws and regulations;
- to investigate and deter activity that we, in our reasonable discretion, suspect or determine to be fraudulent, illegal or otherwise inappropriate; and
- >in other manners after subsequent notice is provided to you and/or your consent is obtained, if necessary.
Aside from the above specific instances of “sale” or “sharing” of personal information as defined by those particular U.S. State laws, Ecolab does not sell, re-sell, or distribute for re-sale your personal information.
How Does Ecolab Share Your Personal Information With Third Parties?
We may provide any of the described categories of personal information to Ecolab employees, consultants, affiliates or other businesses or persons for the purpose of processing such information on our behalf in order to provide the Service to you. In such circumstances, we require that these parties agree to protect the confidentiality of such information consistent with the terms of this Privacy Notice. Third parties receiving personal information may include:
- Our affiliates and related companies;
- Business partners, contractors, and channel partners, which are not considered affiliated companies.
- Third-party vendors or service providers providing crucial services and necessary to provide the Service;
- Certain third parties as described in Cookie Notice;
- Government agencies or other parties in response to legal process or other requests, where permitted by law;
- With other persons or third parties with whom you have requested that we share information.
Except as described above, we will not share your personal information with other, third-party companies for their commercial or marketing use without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you have the ability to opt-in or opt-out.
How Long Does Ecolab Retain Your Personal Information?
Ecolab will retain your personal information only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice. We will retain and use personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your data to comply with applicable laws), resolve disputes and enforce our legal agreements and policies. To determine the appropriate retention period for your personal information, we will consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we use your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Ecolab will also retain usage data for internal analysis purposes. Usage data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Sites and/or Portals, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer periods.
International Data Transfer
If you are located outside the United States, in particular if you are located in Canada, Brazil, the European Union (“EU”), the European Economic Area (“EEA”), New Zealand, the Republic of South Africa, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, or other countries with similar data privacy laws, please note that we and our servers are located in the United States. Any information that you provide to us may be transferred to and processed in the United States or other countries around the world where we do business. Although this may include recipients of information located in countries where there may be a lower level of legal protection for your personal information than in your country, we will make efforts to protect your information in accordance with requirements applicable to the law in your particular jurisdiction and take steps to only share with third parties that offer similar protection. By engaging with and providing personal information and other data that Ecolab may legitimately collect, process, use or transfer in connection with your relationship with Ecolab, you unambiguously consent to your information being collected, processed, used, and transferred as disclosed herein.
Data Privacy Rights (European Union and Similar Jurisdications)
If you are located in the EU or a jurisdiction with a similar law, the GDPR or its local equivalent may grant you certain rights under the law. In particular, the right to access, correct, and delete the personal information we hold about you. Ecolab will retain your personal information for the length of time you engage with our services as described in the retention section of this Notice, until you request deletion of such personal information. Ecolab is considered the Data Controller (or equivalent distinction) with regard to your personal information. You can find our contact information as described herein or in other portions of the Service.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update, or delete the personal information we have on you.
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your personal information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your personal information.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the personal information we have on you in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where we relied on your consent to process your personal information.
In order make a request regarding your personal information, please contact email@example.com.
If you have a comment, question, or complaint about how we are handling your personal information, we hope that you contact us as described herein to allow us to resolve the matter. In addition, if you are located in the EEA, you may submit a complaint regarding the processing of your personal information to a regulatory authority.
The following links may assist you in finding the appropriate regulator:
- In the UK, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner: www.ico.org.uk
- In Switzerland, you have the right to contact the Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC): FDPIC
- In the EU, you have the right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority. To find your local authority, you can check the list on the European Data Protection Board website: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
- In South Africa, you have the right to file a complaint with the Information Regulator: https://www.justice.gov.za/inforeg/index.html
- In Brazil, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the National Data Protection Authority (ANPD)
- In Argentina, you have the right to contact the National Directorate for Personal Data Protection: PDP
- In Canada, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner in Canada: Office of the Privacy Commissioner in Canada
- In Japan, you have the right to contact the Personal Information Protection Commission: https://www.ppc.go.jp/en/
- In Australia, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner: Australian Information Commissioner
- In New Zealand, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner’s office: www.privacy.org.nz
Legal Basis for Processing
If you are located in the EEA or a jurisdiction that requires a similar legal basis for processing, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described in this Notice depends on the personal information we collect and the specific context in which we collect it.
We may process personal information because:
- It is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and Ecolab;
- You have given us consent to do so (in applicable jurisdictions);
- The processing is in our legitimate interest as the Controller, when that legitimate interest is not overridden by your rights;
- Ecolab must comply with the law.
Where certain sensitive personal information is processed based on your explicit consent, you may have the right to withdraw such consent at any time. To do so, please contact us as described in this Privacy Notice. If there is a different legal basis that would permit us to continue processing your personal information after withdrawing consent, we will notify you of that legal basis at the time of your request.
Opt-Out Preference Signals
The Service associated with www.ecolab.com recognizes the Global Privacy Control (“GPC”) signal. Please note that, while this Privacy Notice applies across all websites, the applicability of cookies and the affiliated cookie notice may vary if you are on certain websites outside of www.ecolab.com.
If you are using a browser setting or plug-in that sends an opt-out preference signal to each website you visit, we will treat that as a valid request to opt out. To download and use a browser supporting the GPC browser signal, click here: https://globalprivacycontrol.org. If you choose to use the GPC signal, you will need to turn it on for each supported browser or browser extension you use.
Some internet browsers incorporate a “Do Not Track” feature that signals to websites you visit that you do not want to have your online activity tracked. Given that there is not a uniform way that browsers communicate the “Do Not Track” signal, the Site does not currently interpret, respond to or alter its practices when it receives “Do Not Track” signals.
Information Security and User Responsibility
We employ industry-standard security measures designed to protect the security of all information submitted through the Service. However, the security of information transmitted through the internet or via a mobile device can never be guaranteed. We are not responsible for any interception or interruption of any communications through the internet or for changes or unauthorized access to or losses or unauthorized use of data.
Users of the Service are responsible for maintaining the security of any password, user ID or other form of authentication involved in obtaining access to password protected or secure areas of the Service. In order to protect you and your information, we may suspend your use of any of the Service, without notice, pending an investigation, if any breach of security is suspected.
The Service may contain links to other websites maintained by third parties. Please be aware that we exercise no control over linked sites and Ecolab is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such sites. Each linked site maintains its own independent privacy and data collection policies and procedures, and you are encouraged to view the privacy policies of these other sites before providing any personal information.
You hereby acknowledge and agree that Ecolab is not responsible for the privacy practices, data collection policies and procedures, or the content of such third-party sites, and you hereby release Ecolab from any and all claims arising out of or related to the privacy practices, data collection policies and procedures, and/or the content of such third-party sites.
The Service is not intended for children under the age of 18, and Ecolab does not knowingly collect the personal information of children under the age of 18.
Changes to This Privacy Notice
Ecolab reserves the right to modify this Privacy Notice from time to time in order that it accurately reflects the regulatory environment and our data collection principles. When material changes are made to this Privacy Notice, Ecolab will post the revised Privacy Notice on our website. This Privacy Notice was last modified as of August 2023.